A party is a make believe space when for a time people forget the worries of everyday living. They get feted, they get pampered, they enjoy your hospitality so much so they do not want the day/night to end.
How do you create this altered reality:
1. Know your audience – tailor your food, music and entertainment to your audience. Serve what they like, not what you like, except you have similar tastes.
2. Create a world of make believe – Camera, lights, action – decorate decorate decorate! make an effort, use petals, scatters, balloons, great centerpieces, flowers, smoke machines – those are not things they see every day in their homes.
3. Entertainment that works – these days it’s all about self created content, borrow a leaf from facebook, get the audiences involvement in whatever you do. Even adults still like to play!
4. A go-away gift is always appreciated – make it a useful item, tools, toys, stationery, home fragrances – all tailored to your audiences’ tastes.
5. Remember to send a thank you note after the day – it’s basic good manners.
Go on, have a party! Make sure you make us a part of it.